Newsletters‎ > ‎

2012 Newsletter

October 2012

posted 11 Oct 2012, 11:42 by Rochdale & Bury Bridleways Association

October 2012

 

Dear All

 

Bridleway News

 

·         Heap Road (near old Norden Chimney)

Unfortunately this is still not finalised.  Someone has sent an objection about the width of the ginnell and the objection has been passed to the Secretary of State and is being considered.

·         Dunham

Work on this path is now complete and a celebration ride will be arranged soon, including disabled riders, cyclists and rambers.  Local press will be present.

·         Red Lumb

.  If it’s a problem for you please ring.
Some grids have been installed across Overtown Lane in Red Lumb (at the bottom of Joan’s hill) which are causing some horses a problem.  If you do have an issue can you please report it to the council by ringing 0845 2261800.  The more people who ring the better.  At the moment you can get around them but this is going to be fenced off in the near future so you will have to go over them.  This is an ongoing issue

·         Golf Links

The tree blocking the path at Broadhalgh has now been removed and Roger has cleared the brambles so it is now passable..

·         Church Inn, Birtle

The path below the Church Inn has now been repaired..

·         Tree Trimming, etc.

We are finding that the Councils no longer have the funds to cut back the foliage which takes over our bridleways in the summer so it looks like its down to us users.  If you go for a walk take a pair of shears or clippers with you and just cut a few branches back.

·         Splash Lane/Ashworth

The path down to Nabbs Wife from Splash Lane has been badly damaged by water.  This has been reported to the Council who have promised to look at it.  Also for information Ashworth Road is currently closed and is impassable between Dairyhouse Farm and Splash Lane so if you come across from Birtle to get to Norden you need to go via Black Dads Farm.





·         Ashworth Concessionary

United Utilities have a quote for putting a bridge in on the Ashworth Concessionary.  The quote is for just over £5,000 and want us to pay half.  We have agreed to donate £2,500 towards this as it benefits members both in Birtle/Bury and Norden/Rochdale.  If anyone has any strong objections to this money being spent they should contact someone on the Committee

·         Harwood Fields

We are getting a survey done on the bridleway across Harwood Fields to try to improve the surface which is extremely wet and muddy.

·         Elbut Lane

Birtle Trust have asked for our support in getting Elbut Lane resurfaced as cars are swerving to avoid pot holes and could quite easily cause horse riders a problem.  We have written to our ward councillors on behalf of the group but if there are any individuals who wish to write it would be greatly appreciated

·         Roods Lane

Evidence has been submitted to the Council in an effort to stop them blocking Roods Lane to horse riders (this is the path down the side of the bird sanctuary).  They have agreed to hold off blocking the path until the evidence is considered.  However, they did come and install a kissing gate which was removed by someone within an hour of it being installed so we do need to keep an eye on this one.  All the landowners along the route which links up with Woodtop (Mile Canter) have agreed to the route being upgraded to a bridleway which should make it a bit easier.  Anyone who wishes to complete an evidence form should come to the next meeting.

Treasure Hunt

The treasure hunt is about the only social ride which has taken place this year due to bad weather and we were extremely lucky on the day and only got wet after the treasure had finished.  The hunt took 7 teams on a ride around Whitworth and Lobden Golf Course.  Team GE won which consisted of Joan and Gwen.

 

Dates for Your Diary

·         29th October            -           Open Forum

·         26th November                     Xmas Shopping at Naylors

·         1st December                       Xmas Dinner at the Pack Horse (see below for further information)

·         28th January             Annual General Meeting


The next meeting starts at 8.00 pm at the Pack Horse.

Keep an eye on the website for further information on forthcoming events.


 

Christmas Dinner

The Pack Horse are letting us have their £22.00 menu for £20.00 per head.  The choices are:

Starters:

Smoked Trout Salad with Sweet Cucumber Pickle
Chicken Liver Pate with Kumquat Chilli Marmalade
Deep Fried Brie with Red Onion Relish


Main Course:
Roast Turkey Garnio
Peppered Venison Steak with Port and Redcurrant Sauce
Braised Lamb Shank with Red Wine & Rosemary Sauce served on a bed of Braised Puy Lentils
Grilled Rib Eye Stak with Bearnaise Sauce
Pan Fried Sea Bass Fillets with Ginger & Chilli Salsa
Mushroom Stroganoff with Rice & Garlic Bread

Desserts:

Christmas Pudding with Brandy Sauce
Chocolate Tart with Vanilla Ice Cream
Mixed Fruit Pavlova
Cheese & Biscuits

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Please complete your food choice below and return with full payment or bring to next meeting.  (Printed forms will be available at the meeting.)

Name:……………………………………………………………………………………

Number of People …………………………………………………………………….

Starters: …………………………………………………………………………………

………………………………………………………………………………………….

…………………………………………………………………………………………..


Mains: ………………………………………………………………………………….


…………………………………………………………………………………………..

…………………………………………………………………………………………..

…………………………………………………………………………………………..


Desserts: ……………………………………………………………………………….

 

…………………………………………………………………………………………..

…………………………………………………………………………………………..

…………………………………………………………………………………………..


TOTAL PAYABLE: @ £20 PER HEAD   ……………………………………………

Helpful Hints to Get You Through Winter

 

·         Keep a dustbin full of water in a shed or barn area with a ball floating in it… that way you will always have water when your supply has frozen.

·         Keep a spare pair of gloves in your pocket>

·         Wear a pair of thin latex gloves under your outside gloves then if your gloves get wet your hands are still dry.

·         Put a thin outdoor rug over the top of a heavyweight one, they are easier to get dry.

·         Don’t touch metal gates with wet hands!

·         An old duvet under your rugs are just as good as an under-rug.  Secure with surcingles.

·         Keep a kettle full so that you have water to boil at any time.

·         Hot chocolate/coffee and pot noodles for emergencies if you are at the yard for a long time.

·         A pair of tights under your jodphurs will keep your legs cosy.

·         Invest in some thermal long johns and vest to keep you warm.

·         Ski wear is just as good as riding wear and not as expensive if you visit TK Maxx.

·         Mittens are better than gloves as your fingers keep each other warm.

·         Stand your wet willies/boots in a deep oven tray, that will collect the water and stop it running all over your floor.

·         Fleece neck warmers are better than scarves as there are no trailing bits to fall into water buckets.

·         Cover your padlocks with a plastic bag, stops them from freezing (apparently).

·         Finally, if you don’t like winter put your horse on full livery and let someone else do the work!!!!

 

Carry out any of the above at your own risk, I will not accept responsibility if they don’t work!!!!

 

We hope to see you at the next meeting which is the Open Forum, a chance for you to bring your ideas, share your tips, put your views forward.

 

 

 

 

 

Barbara

July 2012

posted 28 Jul 2012, 11:20 by Rochdale & Bury Bridleways Association

Dear All

 

Bridleway News

 

·         Heap Road (near old Norden Chimney)

Since the last letter we have attended the public inquiry and the upgrade to bridleway has been passed. Unless anyone objects to the High Court about this decision it’s a route saved.

·         Dunham

Lancashire Council have agreed to pay the difference between the money we have raised and the quote for work on the path down to Dunham Farm.  This work should now be completed before the end of summer.

·         Red Lumb

Some grids have been installed across Overtown Lane in Red Lumb (at the bottom of Joan’s hill) which are causing some horses a problem.  If you do have an issue can you please report it to the council by ringing 0845 2261800.  The more people who ring the better.  At the moment you can get around them but this is going to be fenced off in the near future so you will have to go over them.  This is an ongoing issue.  If it’s a problem for you please ring.

·         Golf Links

There is tree down and blocking the path which comes from the Martlett Avenue bridleway.  It is totally impassable.  The Council have been informed.  Please ring 0845 2261800.

·         Church Inn, Birtle

Those of you who ride around the Birtle area will be aware of huge lumps of concrete which have been used to fill in the potholes on the bridleway from the School House which runs below the Church Inn.  The council have promised to resolve this problem as its quite dangerous for smaller ponies.

·         Tree Trimming, etc.

We are finding that the Councils no longer have the funds to cut back the foliage which takes over our bridleways in the summer so it looks like its down to us users.  If you go for a walk take a pair of shears or clippers with you and just cut a few branches back.

 


·         New Road Surface – Edenfield Road

The response we received back from the Council on the slippy surface on Edenfield Road was that they don’t have funds to put a horse friendly surface down on the road but that it will become less slippy as it gets used more!

Reviews

·         Sophie Gent – Equiscan.  This talk was really good.  Sophie explained about what Equiscan is and the problems that it can highlight, particularly in horses where the owner knows that “something isn’t quite right”.

·         David Adlington – A Day in the Life of an Equine Vet

I couldn’t attend this meeting as I was sunning myself in Majorca, however, I have been led to believe it was a highly informative talk which was enjoyed by everyone who came.

·         Open Discussion Evening

We didn’t have a speaker for the June meeting so we held a members’ forum meeting which went down well.  It was an opportunity for everyone to get involved and pass on views and ideas about what’s going on.  It was suggested that we start our meetings earlier so the next meeting will be starting at 8.00 pm instead of 8.30 pm.

Dates for Your Diary

·         30th JulyUnfortunately, due to unforeseen problems the freestyle dressage demonstration has been cancelled, however, Jenny Johnson will be giving a talk at The Pack Horse, starting at 8.00 pm.

5th August
Treasure Hunt.  Starting and finishing at the cattle grid at Lane Head at 12.00 noon.  Entry forms will be available at Monday’s meeting.  Teams of 4, if all team members are bridleway members £8 per team, if not £10 per team.  Hi viz must be worn and ideally each team should have someone over 16.

·         20th August – A week early due to bank holiday.  Quiz night.  Teams of up to 4.  8.00 pm at The Pack Horse.  The rosettes for the Treasure Hunt will be presented on this night.

·         27th August – Trec Competition

Last year’s Trec was very successful and we hope to have as good a day this year.  Entry forms are available from Gill Morrell and will be available at Monday’s meeting.

Keep an eye on the website for further information on forthcoming events.

 

Joke Time

A white horse walks into a pub and asks for a whisky.
The landlord says: "Hey, we've got a whisky named after you."
The horse replies: "What, George?"

 

A dead horse walks into a bar and orders a whisky.
“I’m sorry, sir,” says the barman. “We don’t serve spirits.

 

 

 

 

Barbara

April 2012

posted 26 Apr 2012, 13:59 by Rochdale & Bury Bridleways Association

April 2012

 

Dear All

 

Bridleway News

 

·         Heap Road (near old Norden Chimney)

We’ve done all we can with this now.  The Inspector will make her decision within the next four weeks so as soon as I hear anything I will pass on the news.  Hopefully it will go in our favour but you never know.

·         Sillinghurst Windmills

The applicant has now put in an appeal and we will send in an objection before the deadline of 9th February.  No further update on this we are keeping a close eye on the planning website.

·         Dunham

We have had to get some more quotes for the work needed at Dunham.  Irene is in close contact with Lancashire Council and Lancashire Environment Fund and hopefully work will be starting soon.

·         Concessionary Routes (Greenbooth & Ashworth)

The locks on the concessionary routes have now been changed.  If you have a key to them you will need to bring it along to a meeting to get a new key.  If you don’t return the old key there will be an additional charge of £5.00 for a new one.

·         Red Lumb

Some grids have been installed across Overtown Lane in Red Lumb (at the bottom of Joan’s hill) which are causing some horses a problem.  If you do have an issue can you please report it to the council by ringing 0845 2261800.  The more people who ring the better.  At the moment you can get around them but this is going to be fenced off in the near future so you will have to go over them.

·         “The Drains”

Repair work on The Drains should now have been completed by Lancashire Council.

·         Golf Links

There is tree down and blocking the path which comes from the Martlett Avenue bridleway.  It is totally impassable.  The Council have been informed.


·         New Road Surface – Edenfield Road

We have received complaints about the new tarmac put down on Tenterhill being very slippery.  I have contacted the Council but if you do have a problem please ring the Highways Department.  The more people who contact them the more chance we have of getting something done about it.

 

Reviews

·         January - AGM

The AGM was very well attended as usual.  Roger managed to get a report in the Observer which summarised everything we had managed to achieve last year.

·         Ann Marie Ingram – BHSAI came to talk to us about Centred Riding in February.  She gave some useful tips on the impact of your body on your horse.  There is a link on our website so you can take a look at what she has to offer.

·         Craig D’arcy Farrier – Craig gave us an insight into farriery in general and how to remove a shoe in an emergency.  He will be holding some clinics at his forge later this year, when we have details of dates we will pass on as numbers are strictly limited.

Dates for Your Diary

·         30th April Sophie Gent ACCT – Equiscan (Equine Thermography).  Don’t ask… I’ve no idea what it is.  8.30 pm at The Pack Horse.   The 50/50 draw will take place at this meeting, the prize fund is currently standing at £50.  You will have a chance to join in on the night.

·         7th May – Ride to Irene Pope’s (Walmsley).  Refreshments will be available at Irene’s.  Meet at Norden Bus Terminus at 10.30 am, picking up along the way wherever you are based.  We will be going along School Lane, Ashworth Road, Nabbs Wife to Birtle.  Any Birtle people can meet at the Pack Horse at approximately 11.30 am (before they open).

·         28th May David Aldington – Equine Vet – A day in the life of an Equine Vet.
8.30 pm at The Pack Horse.

·         25th June – to be confirmed

·         29th July – Treasure Hunt.  Further details will be available nearer the time.

·         30th July – A demonstration of Freestyle Dressage to Music at Birtle Riding Centre by Jenny Johnson.  There will be a small charge for this as we have to pay for hiring the arena.  £2 members, £4 non-members.  We will also be presenting the rosettes to the winners of the Treasure Hunt.

Keep an eye on the website for further information on forthcoming events.

 

Working Parties

Sunday, 20th May.
  Greenbooth, we need to divert water back into a culvert where a big puddle is gathering and also clear the overgrown bushes on the narrow path.  From 10.30 am until 4.00 pm drop in and spend as much time as you have available.  Weather permitting.

Wednesday, 13th June. Prickshaw.  A stone pick on the road leading down to Spring Mill where the cobbles are all over the place.  7.00 pm
Weather permitting.


January 2012

posted 22 Jan 2012, 01:46 by Rochdale & Bury Bridleways Association

January 2012

 

Dear All

 

Happy New Year to all members, I hope you have a fantastic year.  I must apologise for not doing a newsletter in November but there wasn’t really anything to report.  We have had to change the date of the first meeting to 6th February due to painting work being carried out at The Pack Horse.

 

Bridleway News

 

·         Heap Road (near old Norden Chimney)

The Heap Road upgrade is going to a Public Inquiry.  It’s going to be held on 18th August at the Town Hall.  We will over the next month be trying to get statements from users of this path, particularly anyone who has used it from the 60’s and 70’s.  I have the original evidence forms which were completed in 2008 and will be contacted those people to get some statements together.  We have to submit our case by 29th February.  There is a bit of good news on this though, the Council have supported our claim and the onus is on the landowner to prove that we haven’t used this route for 20 continuous years which we all know they can’t do because we have!

·         Furbarn Lane

Some of you may have noticed that a dry pathway has been put down along the edge of Furbarn Lane to enable anyone who wants to avoid the puddles.  We have paid £240 for this work to be completed.

·         Sillinghurst Windmills

The planning application which was resubmitted to install some windmills on Castle Hill Road was rejected once again.  The applicant has now put in an appeal and we will send in an objection before the deadline of 9th February.

·         Dunham

Good news on this one.  Irene put in an application to try to get a grant from the Lancashire Environment Fund and we learnt last week that they have earmarked £4,500 towards this work which means with the money already raised we now have enough to undertake the work needed to make this route more horse friendly.

·         Concessionary Routes (Greenbooth & Ashworth)

The locks on the concessionary routes are going to be changed in the next few weeks.  If you have a key to them you will need to bring it along to a meeting to get a new key.  If you don’t return the old key there will be an additional charge of £5.00 for a new one.


·         Ashworth Concessionary

United Utilities have agreed to jointly fund the work needed to make the stream crossing a bit better.  We are hoping this work will be completed early this year,

·         Red Lumb

Some grids have been installed across Overtown Lane in Red Lumb (at the bottom of Joan’s hill) which are causing some horses a problem.  If you do have an issue can you please report it to the council by ringing 0845 2261800.  The more people who ring the better.  At the moment you can get around them but this is going to be fenced off in the near future so you will have to go over them.

·         Birtle Quarry

The Quarry at Birtle (behind the Church Inn) is for sale.  Three bids have been put in so far which are a paint balling and leisure company, a waste energy company and gypsies!  Birtle Trust have said they will keep us up-to-date with any development.

·         Harwood Fields

Irene attended a Bury Rights of Way meeting and was told that three trees were blown down on Harwood Fields during the high winds we had a couple of weeks’ ago.  They advised that some of the other trees don’t look too safe so if you ride across this bridleway take care and watch for falling trees!!

·         “The Drains”

Following all the wet weather we have had it looks like the drain under this bridleway is blocked or damaged.  The path is currently underwater.  When the contractor goes up to Dunham Irene is going to get him to take a look at this to try to maintain the good work that was carried out on it a couple of years’ ago.

Reviews

·         September’s Fashion Show – Naylors organised a great fashion show and really showed off their new season range.

·         Holcombe Hunt master gave a really interesting talk and showed some fabulous photographs.  I think there may be a few of our members joining in with the hunt following this enlightening talk.

·         Cheese & Wine at Naylors was very well attended once more and we would like to thank everyone at Naylors for their hospitality and the excellent free raffle which they held.  Everyone had a really good night and some people (all my friends) went home with some fabulous prizes.

·         Christmas Meal at the Pack Horse.  30 members attended and had a really good night and I’m sure there would have been more than one hangover the morning after.


 

Dates for Your Diary

 

6th February

The next meeting is the Annual General Meeting. The Officers need to be elected and if anyone wants to join the committee then there is a nomination form attached to this letter which should be returned to me by no later than 30th January.  There is already 10 people on the Committee and we need to keep this to a manageable level so places are limited to a maximum of 2.

 

Due to the increasing number of members that we have and the amount of work involved we have decided to create a new position of Membership Secretary.  I will continue to be Honorary Secretary subject to there being no objections to this

 

The current Committee is:  Roger Mee (Chairman), Barbara Brown (Secretary), Gillian Morrell (Treasurer), Janet O’Connor (Social), Joan Snowdon (ROW), Gwen Mann (ROW), Irene Pope (ROW), Gillian Ridings, Chris Mee and Val Johnston. 

 

We would also like to keep a list of anyone who doesn’t want to be on the committee but who would be willing to help out at any events organised by the Association so there is a bit on the form for you to complete for this too.

An Agenda for the meeting is attached to this letter, along with a membership renewal form.

 

Refreshments will be provided.

 

Complaints from Caldershaw

Complaints were raised at the Norden Community Group Meeting recently from residents of the Cut Lane/Caldershaw area about horses cantering across the open green area on Cut Lane and churning up the ground.

50/50 Draw

We will once again be holding a 50/50 draw as this is a good way of raising some money.  The draw will be held in April and can be paid at the same time as your membership subscription or at any meeting before the draw.

Social Calendar

 

The social calendar will be announced at the AGM.

Future Newsletters

 

All future newsletters will only be sent out via e-mail so make sure we have your e-mail address.  Paper copies will be available at meetings so if you want one please pick one up then.

 

 

 

 

 

Barbara


ROCHDALE & BURY BRIDLEWAYS ASSOCIATION

 

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

 

MONDAY, 6TH FEBRUARY 2012

 

THE PACK HORSE INN, BIRTLE

 

8.30 PM

 

 

A G E N D A

 

 

1.       Chairman’s Report


2.       Secretary’s Report

 

3.       Treasurer’s Report

 

4.       Social Calendar

 

5.       Rochdale Rights of Way

 

6.       Bury Rights of Way

 

7.       Election of Officers

Chairman
Secretary
Treasurer

8.       Any Other Business

 


MEMBERSHIP FORM

 

 

Name: ………………………………………Tel No. …………………………………

 

Address…………………………………………………………………………………

 

………………………………………….………………………………………………

 

………………………………………………………………………………………….

 

E- Mail Address: …………………………………………………………………….

 

I WISH TO JOIN THE 50/50 DRAW  £5 PER ENTRY                            YES/NO

 

Single £10                    *Family £15

 

* Family members must live at the same address and be named below:

 

…………………………………………………………………………….**Age……..

 

…………………………………………………………………………….**Age……..

 

…………………………………………………………………………….**Age……..

 

…………………………………………………………………………….**Age……..

 

** If under 16

 

Cheques Payable to: Rochdale & Bury Bridleways Association

 

Please return to:            Barbara Brown

81 Harewood Close

Norden

Rochdale

Lancs.

OL11 5TJ

                                                                                                            ______________

 

TOTAL PAID                                                                                          ==============


NOMINATION FORM

 

 

 

 

………………………………………………………….. (name)  is willing to join the committee.

 

Nominated by:………………………………………………………………………………………….

 

 

 

Signed…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

 

 

 

I do not wish to join the Committee but I would be willing to help out at any events organised by the association.

 

 

Name …………………………………………………………………………………………………..

 

Signed …………………………………………………………………………………………………..

 

 

Form to be returned to Barbara Brown by 30th January 2012.

1-4 of 4