August 2012

posted 11 Oct 2012, 11:49 by Rochdale & Bury Bridleways Association

Committee Meeting – 16th August 2012

 

Present:           Barbara Brown

                        Chris Mee

                        Roger Mee

                        Gill Morrell

                        Gwen Mann

                        Ann Metcalfe (Part)

                        Janet O’Connor

                        Irene Pope

                        Gill Ridings

Lesley Tierney (guest) + 1



Apologies:       Val Johnston

Joan Snowdon

Pat Tough

 

1.    Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting were passed GM to post onto website after moving Janet O’Connor to attendees                                      .           GM

2.    Matters Arising

There were no matters arising.

 

3.    Secretary’s Report

Currently 66 members following an influx from Swallows.

4.    Treasurer’s Report

No update.  Gill needs to speak to Township Office regarding getting the township money donated by Councillor Metcalfe, although we are still waiting for Clive to install a new gate at Nabbs Wife.

5.    Website report

152 people, 185 hits.  International visitors 6 USA, 2 France, 2 India, 1 German, 1 New Zealand and 1 Singapore.

6.    Social Calendar

September – Worm Counts (Mary Lennon)
October – Open Forum
November – Shopping at Naylors
December – Xmas meal at Pack Horse.  It was agreed to go for the £22 menu which the Pack Horse will give us for £20,


7.     Rochdale ROW

Councillor Metcalfe attended to update on the problem with Roods Lane and the kissing gate the council  had tried to install.  She has spoken to all landowners and they have agreed to dedicate the route, although the council are making it quite difficult. 

Ann suggested that with some of the money she has to spend there could be an information board put up in the village so that we could post notices of events, etc. on it.

Gwen had met with United Utilities regarding Ashworth and they have identified a contractor to put a bridge in and a quote is being prepared.

Overtown Lane has still not been fixed although it has been reported to the council and to the contractor.

BB highlighted a problem where the path has been washed away on Splash Lane which is down to the membrane.  The council have been informed.

Regarding the grids at Red Lumb, IP suggested putting some limestone chippings over the top of them so that the horses having problems can’t see the grids.  People need to keep ringing the council.  Ann Metcalfe said she would follow up.

8.     Bury ROW

Chris Peat has 3 claims in our area, through farm to Nangreaves, Simpsons at Buckhurst and Irwell Vale.

IP reported that the plan for the wind turbines on Castle Hill Road had been rejected.  One of the reasons given was that they would frighten horses.

Dunham Work may start week commencing 20th August.  Once complete we need to arrange some publicity with LEF people and have an inaugural ride.  Get a report/picture in Observer, Bury Times and Heywood Advertiser and the BHS Tracks Magazine and Northern Horse.  This should be late September/October.  We also need signs to say that it has been funded by RBBA, LEF and LCC.

IP advised that bridleway 27 behind Lowes Farm is going to be closed for 2/3 weeks for electricity works.  IP to send email to David Chadwick to make sure surface is restored. IP          

9.     2012 Projects

The Treasure Hunt 5th August raised £52.00
Le Trec – 27th August – cancelled due to lack of entries and poor weather forecast.

10.  Any Other Business

Gwen mentioned the 25 year anniversary next year and suggested a social night at the Pack Horse with music and food and have a bit of a party.  She has provisionally spoken to Carole at the Pack Horse who has said she will organise everything.

Also, organise some rides on paths that we have got open or managed to save from being closed.

IP brought a calendar she had put together.  BB to get costs of printing a calendar.   BB

Lesley Tierney and a friend attended the meeting to ask for advice about setting up a group or joining our group for the Ainsworth area of Bury.  There are approximately 100 horses.  She said there was a problem with Barrett Fold Farm and someone suggested they attend the Bury ROW meeting.

Gill Morrell mentioned that there is £6,000 ward fund £2,500 to go to different causes.  Maybe we could apply to get some equipment for path clearances.

11.  Next Meeting  - Thursday 20th September at 8.00 pm at Chris & Roger’s.

Comments