Constitution‎ > ‎Committee Meetings‎ > ‎

2011 Committee Meetings

November 2011

posted 21 Jan 2012, 12:08 by Rochdale & Bury Bridleways Association   [ updated 21 Jan 2012, 12:10 ]

Committee Meeting – 17th November 2011

 

Present:            Barbara Brown

                        Val Johnston

                        Gwen Mann

                        Chris Mee

                        Roger Mee

                        Gill Morrell

                        Chris Peat (Part)

                        Irene Pope

Gill Ridings

 

Copy to:            Joan Snowdon

 

Chris Peat attended to help us with the preparation for the Heap Road Public Inquiry.

 

She stressed that we need to remain focussed and concentrate on our 20 years’ usage which has been without force, without secrecy and without permission.  After she had briefly looked at the objections she thought we had a strong case as none of the objections were valid.

 

What we need to do:

 

Get statements from users and prepare a “Statement of Case” which should include everything that is relevant.  List the users years, current status we believe it to be a footpath with higher rights because we have ridden it as a right.  Point out that there are no valid objections, there have never been any signs or blockages.

 

At this point Chris left the meeting.

 

 

1.      Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting were passed but the meeting date needs changing.  GM to post onto website.      GM

2.      Matters Arising

Gwen had met with the United Utilities Rep and a new lock had been put on the gate in the Ashworth concessionary.  It had been suggested that we will share funding to sort out the stream crossing, hopefully early next year.

3.      Secretary’s Report

3 new members this month.

4.      Treasurer’s Report

No change.

5.      Website report

124 visits this month, 3 from Brazil, 2 India, Algeria, Russia, Dubai and Bangla Desh were also on the list of visitors to the site.

.

6.      Social Calendar

Nothing to report.

Cheese & Wine: Naylors want to start at 7.00 – 7.30 pm ish and are happy to stay open until 10.00 pm.

Gwen – Christmas Cake
Gill – Wine
Chris – Crackers & Cheese
Irene/Val – Cheese on sticks
Janet – Fruit Juice

Barbara – Selection of Cheese

Wine tag – 50p donation – first glass free.

Christmas Meal – 21 people have paid.

7.       Rochdale ROW

Ann Metcalfe has £600 from her Township fund and Roger has form to claim it.   Suggest filling in puddles on Furbarn Lane but current quote is too much.  RM to speak to Clive for another quote.                                                                     RM

8.       Bury ROW

No decision on windmills

A decision on if we get some of the grant money we have tried to claim is on 11th January.
Sally Ashworth wants to hold events in her arena 20 x 60 including dressage, showjumping and Le Trec and had approached Irent about the Trec and whether we wanted to have a joint competition.

Suggestion for next year a superhorse competition at Robinsons and a joint Trec with Sally Ashworth on next August Bank Holiday.

9.       Norden Community Association

RM attended and got voted in to join the group.

10.   Any Other Business

BB to let Gwen know how many new keys to get.                         BB
A new gate has been installed on Greenbooth Concessary.
Grids at Red Lumb – anyone having problems needs to report it to the Council
Gill Ridings/Joan Snowdon suggested a “Big” ride to raise money for air ambulance, possible coast to coast or pennine bridleway.

11.    Date of Next Meeting

Thursday 19th January 2012 at The Mee’s residence.

October 2011

posted 22 Nov 2011, 13:27 by Rochdale & Bury Bridleways Association

Committee Meeting – 20th October 2011

 

Present:            Barbara Brown

                        Val Johnston

                        Gwen Mann

                        Chris Mee

                        Roger Mee

                        Gill Morrell

                        Irene Pope

                       

                       

 

Copy                Gill Ridings

Joan Snowdon

 

 

1.      Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting were passed.  GM to post onto website.      GM

2.      Matters Arising

No matters arising.

3.      Secretary’s Report

Nothing to report. – see Heap Road further on.

4.      Treasurer’s Report

Gill had a year to date balance sheet & profit & loss.  We have £6429.77 in the bank.

5.      Website report

147 visits this month, average 5 minutes duration.
65% were  new visitors and we continue to have lots of international hits.
5 USA, 2 Ireland, 1 Greece, 1 Pakistan, 1 Barbados.

Latest news and classifieds are most popular pages.

6.      Social Calendar

The fashion show last monthg was excellent.

28th November -  Naylors Shopping Evening (cheese & wine).
3rd December – Christmas Meal at the Pack Horse (15 people paid to date)

Suggestions for next year included:

Vet – David Adlington

Farrier

Jumpcross

Retraining racehorses

Hunt Kennels visit

 

7.       Rochdale ROW

A letter objecting to the proposed cuts in the ROW department has been sent and an acknowledgement received.

Gwen advised of potential problems on bridleway at Red Lumb, one resident is having work done and the contractor thought he could just close the path.  David Brennan is aware.

Overtown Lane which goes across from Red Lumb past the waterboard is to be closed for 6 months some time in the near future.

A discussion took place about Heap Road upgrade going to public inquiry.  BB to contact Chris Peat and ask her to attend next committee meeting to give us some advice on the way forward.

8.       Bury ROW


A bridge at Prettywood is coming to the end of its life – can cost of replacing be justified?

IP has submitted our application for a grant, we should hear December/January if we have been successful.

Chicken Farm – No progress and no further work can be done as he runs the business in a safe manner.

9.       Norden Forum

No forum meeting has been held since the last meeting.

10.   Ward Funds

Gill advised that there is money available from ward funds, suggested projects were Splash Lane gates and the river crossing near Paperhouse bridge.

11.   Ride

Gwen suggested a Hot Chocolate Ride on bank holiday Tuesday, 27th December, Meet 11.00 am on School Lane – Waterloo/Woodtop.  Fancy Dress optional.

12.   Any Other Business

Roger advised Clare & Joanne wanted keys.  No keys available on the night of meeting.

Tia Dawson of United Utilities has arranged installation of new gate on the one that was broken at Ashworth.  New lock has been put on.

IP suggested two possible rides – Pennine bridleway in Derbyshire and the North Lancs Bridleway in the Trough of Bowland.

 Date of Next Meeting

17th November at The Mee’s residence.


September 2011

posted 8 Nov 2011, 11:50 by Rochdale & Bury Bridleways Association

Committee Meeting – 15th September 2011

 

Present:            Barbara Brown

                        Val Johnston

                        Gwen Mann

                        Chris Mee

                        Roger Mee

                        Gill Morrell

                        Irene Pope

                        Gill Ridings

                       

 

Copy                Janet O’Connor

Joan Snowdon

 

 

1.      Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting were passed.  GM to post onto website.      GM

2.      Matters Arising

Roger Mee still to arrange meeting with Martin Downham.

3.      Secretary’s Report

Nothing to report.


4.      Treasurer’s Report

No report due to time constraints

5.      Website report

No report due to time constraints.

6.      Social Calendar

A big thank you to Janet for the fantastic quiz and taking all the flack that goes with it!!

GR reported that Naylors needed more male models for fashion show next week.


31st October – Holcombe Hunt (Martin ? who is joint master next year).
28th November -  Naylors Shopping Evening
3rd December – Christmas Meal.  Roger to speak with landlady at Pack Horse.

7.       Rochdale ROW

GM/GR attended meeting on 12th September.  There was a presentation about exposed peat bogs being repaired.

David Brennan is now the only ROW Officer.

There was one complaint received to the Meadowcroft Mill upgrade but lots of complaints about Heap Road.

Steps have been removed from Paperhouse river crossing and a tiger trap installed.

8.       Bury ROW

Meeting 14/9.  Kirklee Valley – Tottington, is now a bridleway loop paid for by lottery funds.  Bury only have £10,000 in the kitty for all rights of way.

The ROW Dept are having no further involvement with the problem at Sillinghurst Farm.  No alternative route is available.

A new planning application has gone in for windmills on Castle Hill Road.  12 objections on the website, some good some rubbish.

IP asked if a track at the bottom of Chesham Wood could be opened.  ROW are to investigate.

A bridleway sign has been requested at the traffic lights at Fairfield Hospital.

The bridge on the path from Fairfield to River Roch needs replacing.  IP asked if it could be a bridleway bridge, a provisional route has been pencilled in.  IP to investigate potential route.

Birtle quarry could be opened to extract minerals and open as a cemetery.

9.       Norden Forum

Jacqueline Beswick is portfolio holder for highways.  Nothing specific mentioned about horses (makes a nice change).

The windfarm on Scout Moor want to expand, north and eastwards.  Rooley Moor Road is right through the middle of it.  We need to get representation on the committee.

Ward funding is available.  Claims to be put in during the next month.

10.   Ride

25th September to Watergrove.  Joan/Gwen to lead.  Meeting Woodhouse Lane at 10.30 am..

11.   Any Other Business

Everyone thanked Irene for doing a great job with the Le Trec.

Irene has a form to claim a grant which needs completing before 3rd October.  Meet at Irene’s on 22nd September.

 Date of Next Meeting

20th October at The Mee’s residence.


August 2011

posted 8 Nov 2011, 11:46 by Rochdale & Bury Bridleways Association

Committee Meeting – 18th August 2011

 

Present:            Barbara Brown

                        Gwen Mann

                        Chris Mee

                        Roger Mee

                        Gill Morrell

                        Janet O’Connor

                        Irene Pope

                        Gill Ridings

                       

 

Copy                Joan Snowdon

                        Val Johnston

 

1.      Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting were passed.  GM to post onto website.
                                              GM

2.      Matters Arising

None.

3.      Secretary’s Report

BB had received an email from Julie Simpson to tell us that ROW dept were going to look at putting horse handles on gates on Shawfield Stones and also look at the last gate that leads to the housing estate as its really difficult to open/close.

BB advised that she had had a call from the Observer about a resident complaining about the proposed upgrade to Heap Road but it would appear he has only complained to the paper and not the council.

4.      Treasurer’s Report

No report due to time constraints but we had income of £71.50 from the Treasure Hunt, £17.00 from the Photo Show, £75 new members subscriptions and £5 from the sale of a key.

5.      Website report

212 visits, 4 USA, 1 Brazil, 1 India, 1 Ireland, 1 New Zealand.  Main pages viewed were Home, Le Trec – 34, Ashworth Concessionary – 24, DIY Liveries – 25.

6.      Social Calendar

22nd August – Quiz £1 including raffle ticket.  JO’C to get chocolates for winners.
26th September – Fashion Show.  We need to push as Naylors are putting a lot of effort into it.  £2 entry.

31st October – Holcombe Hunt (Martin ? who is joint master next year).
28th November -  Naylors Shopping Evening
3rd December – Christmas Meal.  Roger to speak with landlady at Pack Horse.

7.      Rochdale ROW

Nothing happening yet at Blackpits Chimney but closure notices are up

The river crossing steps are collapsing.  Roger to speak to Clive Haughton about doing some work on them.                                              RM

8.      Bury ROW

No alternative route will be made available at the chicken farm.

9.      Press Report

Was in the Observer last week.

10.  Ride

Proposed date 24th or 25th September – to Watergrove.

11.  Working Party

JO’C cleared path behind Whittaker Moss.
Golf course paths very overgrown.

12.  Any Other Business

Everyone thanked Irene for doing a great job with the Treasure Hunt.

No further action on the Rochdale Harriers issue.

Greenbooth needs some policing.  GR advised of someone she knows with a key who isn’t a member.  Keys to be changed December/January.  Keys only issued on return of old key.

Irene has a form to claim a grant which needs completing before 3rd October.  This will be done at the next committee meeting.

13.  Le Trec

A big discussion about Le Trec took place.  Irene took the notes.

14.  Date of Next Meeting

Thursday, 15th September at Chris & Roger’s.

July 2011

posted 8 Nov 2011, 11:44 by Rochdale & Bury Bridleways Association   [ updated 8 Nov 2011, 11:48 ]

Committee Meeting – 19th July 2011

 

Present:            Barbara Brown

                        Chris Mee (part)

                        Roger Mee

                        Gill Morrell

                        Janet O’Connor

                        Irene Pope

                        Gill Ridings

                        Joan Snowdon

 

Copy                Gwen Mann

                        Val Johnston

 

1.      Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting were passed.  GM to post onto website.                                                        GM

2.      Secretary’s Report

Heap Road notices have finally been posted.  Gill Morrell advised one resident concerned about barriers being removed.  GM to send details to BB so that a letter can be sent to reassure the resident the barriers are staying.      GM/BB

Also, the part of the path down near Meadowcroft Mills which is a footpath is in the final stages of being upgraded to bridleway.

There was a discussion about keys and replacing them.  It was decided to change the keys on the concessionaries in December so that members can come and exchange at the AGM.  No new key until they bring the old one back.

3.      Treasurer’s Report

The £500 from the council should now be in the bank.  We have an excess of £400 this year.  £100 VAT paid on Woodtop improvements.  £5,700 in bank.
£78 raised by raffles so far this year.

4.      Website report

210 visits, average 3.2 pages per visit.  Le Trec had had 35 hits, Treasure Hunt 29 hits.  Loads of international 5 USA, 5 Malaysia, 1 Kuala Lumper, 4 Brazil, 2 Portugal, 2 Russia, 2 Isle of Man, 2 France, 1 Holland and 1 Switzerland.

5.      Rochdale ROW

Blackpits Chimney, notice that path could be closed between July and December, however, work has not yet started.

6.      Social Calendar
All sorted for the rest of this year.

22nd August - Quiz
31st October – Holcombe Hunt (Martin ? who is joint master next year).
28th November -  Naylors Shopping Evening

7.      Press Reports

Will be in Observer as soon as there is some free space.

8.      Bury ROW

Another horse has fallen on the chicken farm road where Irene had her accident.  The council and BHS Accident website have been informed.  Irene has spoken with the ROW Officer at Bury and the problem has been passed on to the landowner for a solution.  Chis Peat advises to write to council and threaten to sue as they have a duty of care to maintain safety for riders.  A strip of safe surface down the side of the road is an option.  An alternative route around the back of the farm has also been identified as a possible solution.   IP to contact David Chadwick to arrange a meeting.                               IP

IP has walked Dunham with Tony Lund from Rossendale Council, no complaint has been logged.  Now officially logged.  He advised of the Lancashire Environmental Fund as a possible source of a grant towards the work.  IP to progress.                                                                     IP

9.      Projects

We need to have a point of contact for working parties in case the weather is bad.  Irene will be contact for Broadoaks.

10.  Ride

Next ride to Watergrove.  BB to contact Mel Baron from Wardle Bridleways to see if they would be interested in meeting up with us.             BB

11.  Treasure Hunt

5 entries so far, 1 from Birtle and the others from Norden.  BB to send out reminder email.                                                                    BB

12.  Le Trec

3 entries
Litter bins needed.                                                     GM
Need to identify a holding area.
Need to put some adverts out.

13.  Any Other Business

Roger to arrange a meeting with Martin Newnham re Woodhouse Lane.      RM
No further action on problem with Rochdale Harriers.
GM to get Rochdale Council to send cemetery consultation documents to BB.
IP to follow up contact with Birtle Trust.

14.  Date of Next Meeting

Tuesday, 18th August at Chris & Roger’s.

June 2011

posted 19 Jul 2011, 14:58 by Rochdale & Bury Bridleways Association

Committee Meeting – 16th June 2011

 

Present:            Barbara Brown

Val Johnston

                        Chris Mee

                        Roger Mee

                        Gill Morrell

                        Janet O’Connor

                        Irene Pope

                        Gill Ridings

 

 

Copy                Gwen Mann

Joan Snowdon

 

1.      Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting were passed.  GM to post onto website. 

2.      Secretary’s Report

We now have 70 members.
BB had received an email from Julie Simpson stating that Bury are passing the request for horse warning signs on Castle Hill Road on to the Environment Department and they may well get some put up.  BB to forward email to Gill M so that she can put the detail on the website.                             BB/GM

3.      Treasurer’s Report

No activity in accounts. We have had the ok from Rochdale Council to receive the money from the Township fund.

4.      Website report

144 hits last month, 8 from Brazil, also some from USA, Florida and India.

5.      Rochdale ROW

No reps present to report.

6.      Social Calendar

Chris Peat is attending in June
25th July – presentation from Treasure Hunt and Photo Show
22nd August – quiz (maximum 4 per team, £1 each entry)
26th September – Fashion Show by Naylors
31st October – Holcombe Hunt (Martin ? who is joint master next year).
28th November -  Naylors Shopping Evening
3rd December – Xmas Meal

Janet wants some ideas for next year as this year has been a little bit hit and miss.                                                                                All
BB to do a brief report following the meetings.                                BB

7.      Press Reports

Roger to progress.  Hopefully there will be something in the Observer in the next couple of weeks.                                                                         RM

8.      Bury ROW

The bad news is that Bury have no money, they are only getting £25,000 for the year.

Bridleway 37 – no action to be taken (no-one knew where it was).

The petitions that Irene has about the slippery road surface need to be sent in. IP

The next meeting is 14th September.

9.      Projects

We need to have a point of contact for working parties in case the weather is bad.  Irene will be contact for Broadoaks.

10.  Ride

There will be a ride on 3rd July to Cowm Reservoir, 11.00 am meet at Lane Head.  Bring a picnic.

11.  Treasure Hunt

BB to email other bridleways groups about the treasure hunt.  BB to copy some entry forms to go into tack shops.  BB to notify BHS for insurance.       BB

12.  Any Other Business

Birtle - cyclists want more access.  Invite to meeting.
Carol Pritchard has agreed to do some tree chopping so that she can have a key before the summer holidays.
All groups are eligible to apply for Norden Ward funding.  £500 to £1000 for work in this area.

GR advised of a problem when Rochdale Harriers held their runs in Norden recently.  Stewards caused problem by stopping a rider progressing and then ignored her when the horse reared and she fell off.  GR had an issue on the main road when 4 riders ran towards her in a line.  BB to draft an email to send advising them of the problems and asking for advance notice next year.      BB

A request to go to the Council for horse openers on the gates on Shawfield Stones.                                                                                    BB

13.  Date of Next Meeting

Tuesday, 19th Julyl at Chris & Roger’s (to be confirmed).

May 2011

posted 18 Jun 2011, 21:20 by Rochdale & Bury Bridleways Association

Committee Meeting – 12th May 2011

 

Present:            Barbara Brown

                        Chris Mee

                        Roger Mee

                        Gill Morrell

                        Janet O’Connor (part)

                        Gill Ridings

 

Apologies            Gwen Mann

                        Irene Pope

                        Val Johnston

 

Copy                Joan Snowdon

 

1.      Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting were passed.  GM to post onto website.

2.      Secretary’s Report

One new member since last meeting, stables at Lane Head.

3.      Treasurer’s Report

£453.37 raised so far this year.  £5,798.07 in the Building Society,

£500 township money applied for to pay for improvements to Woodtop.  It was agreed we should give C Haughton the go ahead to proceed as the work is desparate to keep the path ride-able.                                                    RM

£168 spent on new vests.  Yellow vests this time.

4.      Website report

Over the period there had been 121 hit, 400 pages.
2 days with 10 hits
94 visits to the home page
23 visits to classified
10 hits on the Le Trec
On the International scene there had been 1 hit each from Poland, Cyprus, Malaysia and Illinois.

Gill is still waiting for contributions from members.

5.      Social Calendard

Janet gave a brief update before having to leave as she was on call.

May meeting – table top sale.  £5 per table for members, £8 per table for non-members.  Entry fee of £1 to include a raffle ticket.

June meeting – Chris Peat on riding in different areas.

July Meeting – Photo show and presentation from Treasure Hunt the day before.

6.      Rochdale ROW

No update.

7.      Bury ROW

No update

8.      Le Trec

A group had visited Robinsons and looked at the field.  All good feedback.

9.      Livery Yard Visits

Roger and Chris had visited Birtle and got a good reception, they are planning to do Lane Head this weekend.                                             CM/RM

10.  Press Reports

Roger would try to get any reports from members on achievements into the press.

11.  June Ride

A ride in June was talked about and a local pub ride in the evening was the favourite option.  No firm date set.

12.  Working Parties

The next working party is on Wednesday 8th June – apologies from Barbara (on holiday).  Nabs Wife is venue, meet either Elbut Lane or Splash Lane at 7.30 pm.

13.  Any Other Business

Gill M to send BB article from BHS on fluorescent gear.                                  GM

14.  Date of Next Meeting

Thursday 16th June at Chris & Roger’s

April 2011

posted 13 May 2011, 13:59 by Rochdale & Bury Bridleways Association

Present:            Barbara Brown (Part Time)

Val Johnston

                        Chris Mee

                        Roger Mee

                        Gill Morrell (GAM)

                        Janet O’Connor

                        Irene Pope

                        Joan Snowdon

                        Gwen Mann (GM)

 

 

Copy                Gill Ridings

 

 

1.      Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting were passed.  GAM to post onto website.

2.      Treasurer’s Report

Not much change since last month, few more memberships. Need to purchase additional vests for new members.,

3.      Website report

Continue to have regular hits. Peaks occur just before meetings. Need to push people to contribute at the main meeting as so far no one has submitted any contributions.

4.      Working Party

1st Working Party will be 11th May at Woodtop. Parking to be on School Lane Meeting at 7pm. Need to take Tools and Equipment for cutting back vegetation / saplings. RM to speak with C.Haughton to let him know work is going ahead.

5.      Other path issues

GM informed the meeting that there was an issue near the reservoir around Greenbooth where walkers had placed stepping stones in the gully and a tree trunk had been left causing water retention and potential issues. GM to let people know of a date when we can go and remove the stones and trunk.

RM informed the committee that he had been in touch with Township regarding the money set aside by Ann Metcalf. They have not received any forms as of yet but the money has been set aside. New forms to be sent to RM. Meeting concluded that the £500 should be put towards repairing the erosion on Woodtop. RM to speak with C.Haughton to get a quote.

6.      Rochdale ROW

Gate behind Lea Holme is still not been moved.  GM/JS to chase J.Simpson re progress.

7.      Social Calendar

June ride to be organised. Will be published on website. Suggestion was round Watergrove reservoir. No leader yet been identified for the ride.

Trec Competition will be on 29th August (Bank Holiday Monday). Next meeting of sub group will be on 26th April 6.30pm at Robinson’s to walk the field. Rosettes to have Sponsored by Robinson Equestrian Centre Tel 07973 916 004 on the tails.

8.      Bury ROW

Nothing to Report

9.      Diary Dates

12th May Committee Meeting (Chris & Rogers 8pm)
23rd May Main Meeting
8th June Working Party Nabbs Wife

16th June Committee Meeting (Chris & Rogers 8pm)
23rd June next Trec Sub Committee Meeting (Chris & Rogers 8pm)
27th June June Main Meeting

10.  Any Other Business

Date of next Committee Meeting 12th May at Chris & Rogers


March 2011

posted 30 Apr 2011, 01:38 by Rochdale & Bury Bridleways Association

Present:            Barbara Brown

Val Johnston

                        Chris Mee

                        Roger Mee

                        Gill Morrell

                        Janet O’Connor

                        Irene Pope

                        Graham Smith

 

 

Copy                Gwen Mann

Gill Ridings

Joan Snowdon

 

1.      Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting were passed.  GM to post onto website.

2.      Flyer

BB to create a flyer and pass copy to GS with some membership forms.

RM/CM to visit yards and distribute flyer to try to get some new members.

3.      Treasurer’s Report

£522.27 membership, £16.50 from last month’s raffle, interest £4.27,

4.      Website report

Day after meeting – 14 hits, average 12 hits daily.
158 hits last month, 21 on classified, 16 on social calendar, 16 latest news.
Forum is available, committee to test.

5.      Rochdale ROW

The gate behind Lea Holme is going to be moved.  The landowner had also agreed to move the gate at Edenfield Road back slightly.

Roger raised an issue on Woodtop where the path is wearing away due to heavy rainfall.  He will speak to Karen Whittle to get her approval to do a working party on here.



Roger is also going to speak to Ann Metcalfe regarding the funding from the Township Fund.                                                                     RM

6.      Social Calendar

Members from Wardle Bridleways are going to join us at our March meeting.

Baileys Feeds are presenting at April Meeting

Chris Peat is attending in June

Tabletop sale at Waterloo in May - £5 per table.

Possible photo show in July.

Someone from Holcombe Hunt in October – Janet still waiting for contact information from GR.

August is quiz night – maximum 4 per team entry £1 per person.

7.      Press Reports

Roger had managed to get a report in the Observer following the last meeting.  He is also meeting with someone who attends Norden Forum about horse poo and how we can help.                                                                      RM

8.      Bury ROW

Irene reported that her comments on working parties at the last ROW meeting had been misinterpreted in the minutes.

The planning application for wind turbines in Birtle had been refused but an appeal is expected.

Dunham – Irene has got another quote following concern about no drains being put in.  This has put the cost up to £5500.

Graham Smith attended the meeting to advise of where funding is available from the banks.  He said that Barclays would probably fund the purchase of tools to do a path clearance or tree lopping.  He suggested we contact the Co-op as they are based in Rochdale and have a community fund.  BB to contact Martyn Wates (Chief Executive at the Co-op to see how we go about trying to get some of this money).                                                                                   BB

Irene advised that she had filled in a form for the BHS accident survey for Castle Hill Road being slippy at the chicken farm.  The council have said they won’t do anything for one person but if there is evidence that more people have a problem there is a chance of them looking at it.  Irene will prepare a form to put in livery yards in Birtle to try to get a petition together.                                  IP

9.      Treasure Hunt

Irene has prepared a treasure hunt for 24th July.  Rosettes to 4th Place.  BB will be a steward.




10.  Le Trec

Irene has been looking at the possibility of holding a Le Trec competition in August.  A sub-committee was formed which will meet at Chris’s on 7th April at 8.00 pm to discuss venue and feasibility.  Irene will chair

11.  Any Other Business

GS raised the condition of the path adjacent to Marshalls Quarry at Nangreaves.  BB to write and ask if they could help with the removal of some of the large stones which are making the path difficult to ride.                                   BB

Working parties

2 Wednesday of the month.

May      -       Woodtop
June      -       Nabs Wife
July      -      Broadoak

12.  Date of Next Meeting

Thursday 14th April at Chris & Roger’s

February 2011

posted 23 Mar 2011, 13:10 by Rochdale & Bury Bridleways Association

Committee Meeting – 17th February 2011

 



Present:          Barbara Brown

                        Chris Mee

                        Roger Mee

                        Gill Morrell

                        Janet O’Connor

                        Joan Snowdon

 

Apologies      Val Johnston

                        Gwen Mann

                        Irene Pope

 

Copy               Gill Ridings

 

 

1.      Feedback on AGM

Feeling was that it was a good meeting, well attended and we got lots of new members.

2.      Membership Report

We currently have 46 members.

3.      Treasurer’s Report

This year we have so far collected £423 less the 50/50 money.

4.      Website Report

Average time for uk is 1 minute 30 per page.
476 page views.
8 hours on website
People in Oxford/Birmingham have been viewing.

5.      Press Reports

Roger had written a report for the Observer which everyone agreed was very good.  He will do another one after the next meeting.

6.      Rochdale Rights of Way

Lea Holme – the gate had been removed during January and is now back on.  It is to be relocated in the not too distant future.  Joan/Gwen have asked if they can be present when the council do the work so that they can give advice on the positioning of the gate.

Roger to contact Gill Ridings re the £500 from the Township fund to pay for chippings behind Lea Holme.

7.      Bury Rights of Way

As Irene couldn’t attend the meeting she had forwarded details of the Bury ROW meeting which is below.

They are losing 1 ROW officer and the other one will be part time.   The budget is dropping from £100,000 this year to £25,000-£50,000 next year. They asked us what we would like this to be spent on.  They spend £10,000 a year clearing vegetation so Irene advised them of our working parties.

Irene was given a copy of Bury definitive map which will be useful.

Bridleway 36 that we cleared last summer is to be looked at by the council this year.  It is in a bad state, 3 inches of water or mud at the moment.

Irene asked that a bridleway sign be put at the traffic lights at Fairfield Hospital to try and make people aware that there is a bridleway there. She saw a horse there recently prancing about waiting for the red lights to change.

GM Ramblers have £73,000 to offer to repair etc ROW. Money donated to them in wills etc and they feel they should get rid of it as they have changed their charitable status.

Dunham - Tim Martin who contracts for Lancashire sent in an estimate for Dunham. £2,500. Irene has e-mailed a Mountain Bike Group and Rossendale Ramblers (I thought they might have some money too) about chipping in some money and they both said they would get back to me after they have had meetings.  Everyone thought we should go ahead with the work as we hadn’t received any objections.  Joan asked if there was drainage work being carried out as part of this quote as if not it would probably get washed away pretty quickly.  Barbara to feed back to Irene.

Turbines - Val and Irene went to Rochdale Planning Office a couple of weeks ago and saw the file. I had seen all the information on the internet but did manage to get our letter on the internet as well. They had in file the BHS guidelines which they must have got from the BHS website.

8.      .Social Calendar

Janet has struggled to get firm dates from everyone on her list but Alan will do the February meeting and we have towing booked for March.  We need contact details for some of the other people.  Janet will follow up so we can try and get some laminated signs ready.
Treasure Hunt - Gill M and Irene booked the Packhorse Conservatory provisionally for a Treasure Hunt on 25th July from 12 noon. Irene has worked out a route to start and finish at the Packhorse sending teams off at 15 minute intervals. Gill and Irene thought we could give out the prizes at the meeting next day. Unfortunately that day is Bolton Show but if we want to precede our meeting we are always going to have that problem  Everyone thought the stuff Irene sent through was brilliant and that we should go ahead as planned.  Gill told us of someone who can do rosettes at a very reasonable price (they do them for the Mary Towneley Loop.  Website for these is www.redroserosettes.co.uk.

9.      Livery Yard List

Roger asked Barbara if she still had the list of livery yards produced a couple of year’s ago.  BB to send to Roger so that he can go out and visit some of them.

10. PR

It was felt that we should attend a couple of Rochdale Shows this year and also have a presence in the Norden Carnival.

11. 2011 Aims/Projects

Working parties to be held on 2nd Wednesday in the month (one per month).

Fund raising

Rides – four seasonal rides throughout the year.

12. Any Other Business

Gill to put the Treasure Hunt poster on website.

Graham Smith (member) works for Barclays and they will donate money to causes if the people involved will wear Barclays Tee Shirts while carrying out the work.

Quarry ride near Rossendale School.  Can Marshalls be contacted to see if they can clear some of the huge stones making it difficult to pass along the route.

There is a wall down coming up from Meadowcroft Mills (just before the yapping dog!).

Next Meeting

Thursday, 17th March at 8.00 pm at Chris & Roger’s.

1-10 of 10